SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (July 7, 2023) — The Salt Lake City Criterium is excited to announce its return for the 4th year, reaffirming Utah’s place in the professional bike racing circuit with a two-day event, on July 15-16, 2023. The Saturday race is the sixth of ten stops on the 2023 National Criterium Series Calendar, known as The American Crit Cup. Be there as the pros vie for the chance to earn crucial points in the series and a share of the over $22,000 prize purse! From Utah, the series will journey to Chicago, Illinois, and several other locations before the grand finale in St. Louis, Missouri in September to award the $100,000 grand prize!
Day 1 in Salt Lake City begins in the Granary District near downtown and INDUSTRY SLC, featuring a fast, 4-corner, 1.4 km counter-clockwise rectangular circuit. The race kicks off with the enthusiasm of amateur categories, paving the way for the pros in the evening. In partnership with INDUSTRY SLC, we’re providing a sensational ticketed VIP experience from their upper deck, offering an unbeatable bird’s-eye view of the thrilling action.
The Salt Lake City Criterium is thrilled to announce its expansion in the Granary District during Day 1 of the event, a move designed to welcome more of the community and create an even more engaging and festive atmosphere. This year, the event will cover a larger area and feature an expanded vendor street fair that celebrates local businesses and artisans. With over 50 local vendors, food enthusiasts will delight in a variety of BBQ food trucks, and beer aficionados can enjoy a selection of brews from local breweries. This expanded footprint not only means more room for spectators and participants but also a broader showcase of the vibrant local culture and community spirit that makes Salt Lake City so special. We are eager to provide a more inclusive, enjoyable, and memorable event for all attendees, creating a true street party atmosphere that combines the thrill of professional bike racing with the essence of a community festival.
Day 2 brings a shift in scenery, moving the competition to Sugarhouse Park, still retaining the spirit of criterium racing that spectators and participants love. The racing will continue with additional junior and master categories throughout the day, culminating in the pro men and women’s showdown – the perfect ending to an exhilarating weekend of racing.
Eric Gardiner, the director and founder of the race, said, “We’re thrilled to bring top-level criterium racing back to Salt Lake City. With our new courses, we aim to challenge teams’ abilities and create diverse racing experiences each day. Expect even more excitement with significantly more primes this year.”
For Granary District July 15:
- Parking: Early arrival is the key to getting a good parking spot. Street parking is available along 400 west between 600 south and 800 south and east of there. Make sure to follow all posted parking regulations to avoid any issues.
- Bike Valet: Consider riding your bike to the event and taking advantage of our bike valet service provided by the Salt Lake Bicycle Collective. It’s a great way to avoid the hassle of parking and to get in the spirit of the event!
- Best Viewing Areas: Prime viewing areas are scattered along the course, but the best spot is from the VIP deck on top of INDUSTRY SLC, tickets are available online. Other top spots would be the start/finish line because of the beer garden and opportunity for some shade. The four corners of the course are also exciting and is where you can see racers making high-speed turns. Kiitos Brewing will also have a spectator beer garden just outside their building along the back stretch of the course. Remember to keep a safe distance from the course for your safety and the safety of the racers.
- Food On-Site: With a larger footprint this year, we have invited Salt City Barbecue offering a range of BBQ favorites in addition to nearby Slackwater Pizza and Woodbine Food Hall, you are sure to find something to satisfy your taste buds.
- Musical Performances: Be sure to check out the live music performances happening from 3:30 pm – 6:30 pm near the vendor area on 700 south. They add a wonderful backdrop to the race and are sure to get you moving to the rhythm.
- Vendor and Sponsor Tents: Don’t forget to take a walk through our vendor street fair and visit the sponsor tents. This is a great opportunity to learn more about local businesses, pick up some great deals, and maybe even get some free swag.
AWARDS! Awards will happen next to the start/finish line on 500 West and will happen promptly at 9:20 pm.
For Both Granary and Sugar House Park:
- Race Announcements: Listen to the live race commentary, it will help you understand the team strategies, keep track of leading riders and stay informed about any crucial race developments.
- Hydrate and Protect Yourself from the Sun: Don’t forget to stay hydrated and protected from the sun. Bring a refillable water bottle and be sure to apply sunblock regularly.
- Join the Celebration: Most importantly, have fun! The Salt Lake Criterium is not just a race, but a community celebration. So, come ready to cheer on the racers, enjoy great food, music, and make lasting memories!
AWARDS! Awards will happen next to the start/finish line at 5:20 pm.
Find the 2023 Salt Lake Criterium registration, sponsors, and event schedule on our website (www.saltlakecriterium.com), where you can also find information on volunteering and other ways to get involved with the event.